Thursday, November 12, 2009

Quote From Chapters 16-18

"Then, just to show you how crazy I am, when we were coming out of this big clinch, I told her I loved her and all. It was a lie, of course, but the thing is, I meant it when I said it. I'm crazy, I swear to God I am"

1./2. Holden said this shortly after him and Sally got done doing stuff in the back of the cab. He is saying how he told Sally he loved her, and when he said it, he honestly felt that way... but overall he does not feel that way. He thinks this makes him crazy. He acted out of pure emotion in this instance, like he has many other times (when he attacked Stradlater, mood-swings, compulsive lying, etc.) but he didn't seem to think any of those things made him crazy. I think he said this proves he's crazy because he rants on and on about how he doesn't like phony guys, and yet he made a phony remark.

3. This is significant because this entire book, it seems like many of us have been trying to prove that Holden is "crazy" or that he has some sort of mental illness. Holden himself thinking this, could help back up our theories about him. This also shows that he may be coming to grip with the fact that there is indeed something wrong with him.

2 comments:

  1. Holden calls everyone around him a phony yet he himself makes some phony comments. I agree with you. He is always lying to people about who he is, he changes his name all the time when he meets new people. It's as if he can't be real with anyone that he meets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rid once again. Holden himself is acting a little phony, especially during these most recent parts of the book. Just like Rid said, he lies about who he is quite often and criticizes others for not acting like themselves. He is also being a little hypocritical throughout these most recent chapters.

    In the words of Nate Smith -
    "Holden is definitely a goofy dude."

    ReplyDelete